Friday, February 10, 2006

In a Flash

People say that when you die your life flashes before your eyes. Last night as I was watching TV, I tried to think of memories that I think would be on that list. I wondered if that might’ve been silly. I mean do we truly see things before we die or does that give us the hope to lead extraordinary and joyous lives so that when depart we can go with the lasting memories of love. I have a bad memory and tend to forget most things but when I cleared my mind these things came into frame.

  • When my dad came home from work I would run up to him and tell him hello. I would grab both of his hands and proceed to walk up his body and flip upside down. Of course at the age of six, I probably didn’t weigh that much. But I actually think that would be my last memory because it’s my favorite.

  • Sometimes when my grandfather would go to the store he would let me ride with him. It made me feel really good because, let’s face it, back in those days, your grandmamma’s house was swarming with kids so you being picked to do something other than go get the switch off the tree, was a big deal.

  • Not having to be in house at a certain time, means you have plenty of time to waste and discover life. So, I spent most of my early days running wild with Matthew. He was my very bestest friend until he moved away in the third grade to I think Utah. Who the hell moves there!?! Well, I love stuffed rabbits. The day Matthew moved, I ran out my house carrying my favorite one to give him and tell him bye.

  • I saw myself hitting a tennis ball against my godfather’s garage door. I used to go over his house all the time and spend hours with the tennis ball machine working on my drive. I also could hear the time he told my I made the best spaghetti in the world!!! Back then it was a big deal, but come on now, how do you screw up spaghetti?? However, I have seen it done

  • Daisha, my most favorite person ever(I feel sorry for my real daughter if I have one), telling me she loved me for the first time. It nearly broke my heart. She was two years old and was leaving the room. She said, “Ashley, give me a hug.” I gave her a hug. She turned to walk away, then turned back around. “Ashley, give me a kiss.” I gave her a kiss and she turned back around. Then she said, “I love you Ashley!” and I said, “ I love you too!” Now I know my name isn’t Ashley, but even though she could talk, her tongue was thick so that’s what my name sounded like when she said it. So everyone just started calling me that, I heard it so much I thought it was my name!!!!

  • Then there are memories that don’t really need explanations.Seeing my niece for the first time.

  • Watching TV with my grandmother

  • The moment my mother walked in the door from the car accident she was in that took her brother’s life.

  • Playing baseball with my brother and father.

  • Stuffing dirty socks in my brother’s mouth!!!!

  • Sleeping on my sister’s little ass couch and her sleeping on the twin bed before we hit the town, CLASSIC moment in life.

  • Hanging from the giant pipe in my grandparent’s basement with my two cousins.

  • The first party on the yard my freshman year in college.

  • HA! Me fighting with my Damon. It how we express our love for one another.

There were a few other things I saw and thought of but I’m tired, cold and writing this blog is distracting me from watching Project Runway. Well, if we do see things before we die or as we die, I hope these things make the list. And hopefully I can continue to do the little, simple, small, loving things that will follow me wherever I go.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brittni said...

This is really sweet, Les.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home